Monday, February 23, 2009

Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Dime?

Today after I left work, I went across the street to Speedway to put gas in my car. As I was standing there at the pump, a man walked over to me and said,
" Excuse me Miss, my wife and I are really short on money and need gas. We have
13 cents. Could you spare a few dollars?"


I told him I didn't have any cash on me. He thanked me and walked away. Meanwhile the ten dollar bill I had started burning a hole in my pocket. And I felt guilty. Should I have given him the money? Offered to buy him the gas? Why did he ask me? Because I looked like a nice person? Or an easy target?

His car was parked next to mine - an older blue car with the back driver's side window busted out and covered with a thick blanket. A woman was in the passenger seat and she had her head down - maybe out of embarrassement or frustration? As I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw him asking the man in the pump next to mine, who also told him no. I drove down the road and prayed that if he really was that desperate for money, that God would direct someone to him to help - someone nicer than me.

What should I have done? What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. This actually really happened to ME about 2 months ago. I was in Warsaw at a gas station next to a grocery store, and it was about 8pm. Cale was in the backseat, and I was out pumping gas and freezing. A woman in a shady car came over to me and told me she hated to ask a total stranger for money, but she was from Granger and didn't know the area, had no gas, no money, no purse, no cell... I didn't know if she was serious or trying to take me for a sucker. I was also scared that someone was hiding somewhere and going to jump out and attack me or take my son in the backseat, yadda yadda. I told her I didn't have much, but I would give her something. I did what would probably considered stupid b/c I turned my back to her and grabbed my purse in the other seat, dug through my wallet, and gave her all the change I had. I also had a 20. I didn't give it to her. I felt guilty about it later too. I probably gave her three bucks in change, so I told myself at least that would buy her a small amount of gas to get to the next town, maybe, where she could hopefully ask someone else. But... my fear was that I would hang out too long talking to her and something scary would happen. It's just a sad, sad world we live in where you can't be quite sure... :( I prayed for her that night and hoped she made it home. I just couldn't figure out how she got into that position... don't ever take off not knowing where you are going, with no phone, no wallet, no way of getting help.. especially at night. Not a good combo. I hope she made it home. She was nice.

    ps- we don't live that far from each other. Hopefully this isn't a scam to make people like us feel guilty! Mine happened long enough ago that I don't think that is true, though.

    pss- the woman had a small, crying child in the backseat. This was the main reason I felt compelled to give her a few bucks. I couldn't stand thinking of that child, stranded on the side of the road, out of gas, at night. :( Makes me wish I would have just given her the 20, thinking about it later. It's hard to know what to do at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel conflicted in these situations. I never know if they really need help or are just trying to scam me. I like to think I'm nice and would help someone in need, but how do you tell if they are really in need? I think you just have to go with your gut and pray it was the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after reading about the three recent 'attempted' abductions in Mishawaka (actually one woman was abducted and got away) I think you probably did the right thing. It is unfortunate that we have to feel bad, but better to be safe then sorry!
    Love ya MOM

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Buzzes