Monday, April 13, 2009

Not Sure I'm Cut Out For This "Mommy" Gig...

After a fun-filled Easter, the kids and I took long naps (Brenna and I slept from about 4 to 9:30...oops! She's been teething and hasn't been sleeping well, so obviously we both needed it) She is back in bed and Riley and I are catching up on cartoons. He has got the biggest imagination and lately has been making up new friends and pets. Tonight he really threw me for a loop...

Riley: MOMMY! My new dog Barney *imaginary* is dead!

Me: What?!

Riley: (now getting upset) He's deeaaadd

Me: Are you sure he's not sleeping?

Riley: NO he's dead. I miss him. I want him back. *then he starts to sob

What the heck just happened here? We went from enjoying cartoons to a dead dog in 2.5 seconds flat! And he was REALLY upset about it! I was a little flabbergasted. We haven't talked about death so I'm not sure where this came from.

I hugged him, told him everything would be okay, and offered some chocolate milk. I distinctly remember chocolate milk cheering me up when I was about his age and watched "Follow That Bird" - which I'm still convinced is one of the saddest movies ever, even though I haven't seen it in probably 24 years. Why don't kids come with manuals that tell you how to handle situations like this?

Hey Riley - You're Freaking Me Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Buzzes