Thursday, January 7, 2010

100 Books Challenge

While thinking of goals that I wanted to achieve this year, I wanted to do things that are fun and would also challenge me. I've decided that one of my goals is to read 100 books this year. I'm a pretty avid reader normally, but this will really stretch me! I kept thinking, "100 is too much, maybe just 50..." but it didn't feel like enough of a challenge. I usually am reading several books at once - I keep a book in just about every room of the house so I can grab whatever is there when I have a spare minute. Right now I'm in the process of reading:
  • The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber - Debbie Macomber has become kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I love her sweet, predictable storylines.
  • Believing God by Beth Moore - I recently started catching Beth Moore when she's on tv and reading her blog. I love her energy and can't wait to read her books.
  • Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani - a young adult book, I truthfully picked this up because Viola is my grandmother's name and it is set in South Bend, IN. 
  • Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs - This is the next pick for my book club. It's a weird book (nice choice Michaele!) 
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George - this was given to me by my good friends for my birthday. I read a portion of it each night before bed. 
  • The Success Principles by Jack Canfield - a really great book that is broken down into small sections. I read a portion of this each night before bed too.
  • The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell - I learned about Sarah Vowell after listening to her on PRI's This American Life. She's got a terrific sense of humor. I'm a history lover (My first choice profession was to be a high school history teacher!)  and this is a great way to get a little history and humor at the same time. This is my go-to book for when I can't sleep. 
Wow! Seven books right now?! I didn't realize that it was that many until I gathered them all. Wow. My goal is to read two a week. I'd like to have The Shop on Blossom Street and Viola in Reel Life done by Monday. I'm going to be tracking and giving mini-reviews of the books on a second blog 100 Book Challenge. 100 books is a lot...have any that you'd like to recommend?  Leave me a comment!

3 comments:

  1. Feel free to pass along any good books when your done with them. I love to read, but hate picking out books. I usually employ a personal shopper to pick them out for me, so maybe that will be you. :-) and I do still want Raisinberry! I have asked Jeff to bring it but he doesn't care much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany!

    The Shack by William P. Young and Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout are supposed to be REALLY good. I have them, but haven't started reading them yet! Good luck on your 100 books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shack is good! Also try crazy love by Frances chan. It was my favorite read in 2009!
    Oh...and I love Beth moore!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Buzzes