- Diapers are EXPENSIVE. And I believe you get what you pay for, so I am pretty loyal to Pampers. Even with sales and coupons, I'm paying an average of $10/week on diapers and wipes. That's $40 a month, $480 a year, or approximately $1440 until potty trained.
- Diapers are AWFUL for the environment. It takes an average of 500 years for a disposable diaper to decompose.
- A few times I've gone to change a diaper and found clear, gel-like beads on their tush. I had no idea what it was, but wasn't comfortable finding it there! (I googled it, it's sodium polyacrylate, a polymer that can absorb 200-300 times it's weight. It's no longer used in tampons because of it's link to Toxic Shock Syndrome.)
I decided to buy a couple cloth diapers and try them out on their toughest critic...
...Brenna-Saurus Rex. (Here she is in her cloth diaper 'helping' me fix the screen door.)
I bought a bumGenius 3.0 One Size in Tangerine and a Flip One-Size in Blossom. You may ask, "But Bethany, why would you buy diapers for Brenna if she's going to be potty-trained soon? (God willing!!) Shouldn't you buy small diapers for the new baby?" That's the beauty of it! Since these are one-size diapers, they adjust to fit babies of any size (average of 7-35 pounds!) So I can use the same diapers on Brenna and Baby Siobhan (not going to be the real name)! Brilliant! Frugal! Neat! I attempted to get uni-sex colors just in case Siobhan is a William. That and I LOVED the springy yellow and orange. :-)
So how did it go? What do I think? Will I continue on my quest to cloth diaper? You'll have to come back and find out!
Awesome. I wanted to use CD's but as a WOHM its hard to find daycares/babysitters that would go along with that. Too bad... I got addicted to baby slings and carriers (I had 5 carriers at one point) I know I would have been addicted to shopping for some really really really REALLY cute CDs and covers. :)
ReplyDeleteIf I were at home everyday I would try it out too! I don't know if I would stick to it, but I would certainly try! Saving money is always good!
ReplyDeleteIm So proud of you! Its good to know Im not the only Hippie out there ;) We Love our cloth. Zion really looks cute in the pink ones that we saved from Addison, Whatever they all work.
ReplyDelete