I saw the surgeon Monday for my pre-op appointment. We went over everything with the surgery, after surgery and maintenance down the road. He also sprung something on me and we changed my surgery a bit. He offered to do a band with plication. I didn't realize it would be an option for me, but had read up on it before. After confirming what I knew and discussing any additional risks, I said, "Sign me up!"
So what does THAT mean?
Plication is when they take your stomach, fold it in on itself, and sew it up. The result is a stomach that is similar to that in gastric sleeve surgery, but nothing is actually removed.
![]() |
| Banding with plication |
![]() |
| Gastric Sleeve |
- Faster initial weight loss. While the long term results are found to be about the same with each surgery, having just a gastric band is known for slower weight loss. I was completely okay with that. But we're an instant gratification society and I'm definitely an instant gratification girl. Part of the reason regular diets didn't work for me was the slow results. "I haven't lost any weight this week, might as well have a cookie - or six!" Not healthy thinking - I KNOW. Working on that! But isn't everyone more likely to stick to something if you see it's working?
- It's still safer than gastric bypass or gastric sleeve surgery. Nothing is being cut and removed from my body. It's still an outpatient procedure, so I'll still be home that day. I just might have a little additional nausea after surgery and I may not be able to move on to solid foods as quickly.
- Less maintenance. After lap band surgery, you will see your doctor every 3-6 weeks for 'fills'. (They will inject saline into the port on your band.)
You can read more about this fairly new procedure here.
On Monday, I will drink a large amount of junk that will completely empty out my stomach. Basically keep me in the bathroom all day. The information sheet they sent me about it said to gather books and magazines 'cause you'll need it! Ha! Wish me luck with that!
Next Wednesday is the big day!

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Sweet Buzzes