![]() |
| I'm so rich! |
Since my funds are certainly not unlimited, I found a few ways to save on Christmas this year that I thought I'd share.
- No Clothes - I think the least popular gift for children under the age of 13 is clothing. It gets feverishly unwrapped, frowned at, then chucked behind them to move on to the next present which will hopefully be a toy. My kids could use clothing, no doubt about that, but we're saving it for our normal purchases after Christmas and saving the good stuff for the presents.
- No adult gifts - Jeff and I are not buying for each other. We both have everything we need. There are certainly things we want, but we're at the age where if we want it that badly, we'll just go buy it.
- Make it - I'm making each kid a blanket and hooded towel. The blankets are being made with panels, so basically all I'm doing is sewing two pieces of fabric together. The hooded towels are SUPER easy and really cute - I'm hoping to do a post just on them soon!
- Go straight to the source - Brenna's main gift this year is a Little People House. I thought it would be nice to get her the Little People SUV and Backyard Playset to make a complete home for her people, but found the SUV and the Backyard nearly impossible to find in stores and SUPER expensive on sites I normally shop at like Amazon.com. So I went to Fisher Price.com, they had both in stock and I bought both pieces for $30 - what I would have paid for just one set elsewhere. I also got free shipping and it arrived in just a few days. (Now if anyone can find me the Dance 'n Twirl Palace for a reasonable price, I'd be willing to part with a finders fee!)
- Make a List - this one seems like it should have been a no-brainer. But for me it was like a huge revelation. Normally what I would do is go to the store with a few specific things in mind, but mostly just pick up whatever I thought would tickle their fancy. This left me with lots of craptastic toys they barely played with and nothing left in my wallet. This year Jeff and I sat down and thought about what we wanted them to have, what would be helpful for them and what they would play with for a long time. And we are only buying those things. We're going to end up spending about $100 a kid (except Gracie. Since she's a baby and doesn't know any different, she will have practically nothing under the tree. We'll make up for it in years to come I'm sure!)

Scouring the internet for deals! Freesnatcher.com is one of the fanpage I like on facebook and they are constantly posting deals... (see restaurant.com score below!)
ReplyDeleteCoupons and Rebates! I don't usually use rebates and coupons, but my hubby wanted this one gift, originally for $80... was on sale at Meijer for $50... had their Santa Bucks on wednesday for $10 off, and a manufacturer's coupon for $10 off, plus I can mail in a rebate (after he opens it and I cut off the UPC) for $15... So the gift final cost is $15!!!
My stepdad doesn't want anything for Xmas, but I know he loves getting deals and coupons and rebates... and I found a code ("GIVE") for Restaurant.com for 70% off the list price... so I got a $25 gift certificate to a local Italian restaurant for $5.
I caught the last days of the Shutterfly free card promo for bloggers, (blog about shutterfly, get free cards) and got 50 free cards worth over $120 for just the cost of shipping ($8.55)
DIY--my usual cakeballs, of course... and homemade vanilla extract...
And I bought all my gift wrap last year after Christmas on Clearance for 75% off.